Friday, March 09, 2007

Playing with ice cream

We have one of those fancy refrigerated units for making ice cream (but not as fancy as the Simac!). While we've made some good stuff, we're always looking for how to make it creamier. I forgot how we got on the topic, but I realized that I have some vegetable gum powders from my low-carb diet days. It's a combination of guar, acacia, and xanthan gums, and that's what's used in commercial ice cream as an emulsifier. So I thought, why not try it? For a Philadephia-style ice cream (no eggs, not a custard) I used: 1 cup milk 2 cups cream 1 t vanilla 1/3 cup superfine sugar mixed with 1 1/2 t vegetable gum powder You need to mix the sugar with the gum powder or it will clump. Then whisk everything together and dump it in the freezer (according to maker's directions, of course). The result was like soft-serve when it first came out, then after several hours of hardening in the freezer, it was really creamy and just perfect. Very good on some homemade waffles with fresh strawberries, and homemade bacon on the side. Not the healthiest brunch, but we sure did enjoy it!

No comments: