Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hooked on a microwave?

Doing this kitchen remodel has brought one thing home to me -- I'm addicted to using a microwave oven. Actually, my family was a fairly early adopter of the appliance, I remember having one when I was in high school. In those days, we used it for defrosting and heating water, mostly. But now? I make risotto and polenta in it, heat up my lunch, steam vegetables, do the water heating thing, and on, and on...but there's one catch: Right now, I don't have a microwave oven! I will again in a few days but have been going through withdrawal since Saturday. I didn't realize how important it was to the rhythm of my cooking. Sort of like the food processor, for making fine purees. Sometimes you just get used to doing things a certain way. (And, by the way, if you've never made risotto in a microwave oven, boy is it the best tool for that job!)

No comments: