Saturday, January 10, 2009

What's for dinner: Butternut squash soup, cobb salad

I still have a bunch of different squash from the farm season sitting out on my deck, seemed like the time to use some. I picked out the biggest butternut squash, a little more than four pounds, for soup. I made the soup base by sautéing onion, celery, and apples, about a cup of each, in some olive oil. Added turmeric, powdered ginger, thyme, salt, white pepper, allspice, and coriander. Then the peeled and cubed squash went in with about eight cups of chicken broth and three cups of water. Cook for an hour or so until the squash is tender, blend smooth with a stick blender, and adjust the seasonings.

Cobb salad is one of my favorite things, since it includes so many of my favorite flavors. I have good avocados, which is the hardest thing to get, so it all came together beautifully. I tossed the greens with blue cheese dressing because we both love blue cheese, so having the dressing and the crumbles is a good thing to us. Of course, you can hardly see the greens for all the toppings – bacon, poached and chopped chicken, roma tomatoes, and chopped egg.

No comments: