Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Can you always follow your passion?

What happens when your passion and your career are on different paths? Why did I find out so late in life that what I could have been brilliant at might have passed me by? Has it? Can I grab the gold ring without falling on my face? All I really want to do is cook. But I can't spend 12, 10, or even eight hours on my feet anymore, and I feel like I'm over the hill to start such a demanding new career. Now that I'm old enough to know what I want, I feel like I'm too old to go for it. Guess we're having a pity party tonite. But, listen, I made this great soup this week. Took the carcass of a smoked chicken and made a stock. Soaked 2 cups of cranberry beans overnight. Sauteed a mirepoix, very simple, with some thyme and pepper. No garlic (not sure why I made this decision but it felt right). Added the stock, the beans, and cooked for an hour. Salted to taste, added 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes and juice. Simmered another half hour or so. Garnished with chopped roasted red and orange peppers. Very stick to your ribs, comforting. The cranberry beans get so creamy. Made me happy to serve it to my special someone.

1 comment:

ShellyJ said...

Thanks...now I am finally back. I do like to cook Indo food, have a couple of cookbooks by Sri Owen (mother of a former co-worker, no less!). Though I am better at Thai because the ingredients are easier to get here.